A hand-picked collection of famous quotations and sayings about love by hundreds of different authors. We all need to be reminded, from time to time, of the importance of having love in our life and that is why I have compiled a list of famous love quotes and sayings that will help inspire you to make love and romance a priority in your life.
Famous Love Quotes and Sayings
1. I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
1. All’s fair in love and war.
1. I can live without money, but I cannot live without love.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
1. Who so loves believes the impossible.
2. What I do and what I dream include thee, as the wine must taste of its own grapes.
3. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.
1. The giving of love is an education in itself.
2. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
1. Love, like a river, will cut a new path whenever it meets an obstacle.
Muda Saint Michael
1. Love is like a mustard seed; planted by God and watered by men.
1. There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
1. Love’s always a little lonely in the beginning.
Dr. John Gray
1. When men and women are able to respect and accept their differences then love has a chance to blossom.
1. You know you are in love when you see the world in her eyes, and her eyes everywhere in the world.
1. Love is strong yet delicate. It can be broken. To truly love is to understand this. To be in love is to respect this.
1. Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.
1. When you love someone, all your saved-up wishes start coming out.
1. Love is energy of life.
2. Take away love, and our earth is a tomb.
3. Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be.
1. We sat side by side in the morning light and looked out at the future together.
Francois Marie Arouet
1. Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.
Daniel Monroe Tuttle
1. Love is like a mountain, hard to climb, but once you get to the top the view is beautiful.
1. Love is the idler’s occupation, the warrior’s relaxation, and the sovereign’s ruination.
1. Love is not blind – It sees more and not less, but because it sees more it is willing to see less.
1. A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
2. Where there is love there is life.
3. Love is the strongest force the world possesses, and yet it is the humblest imaginable.
1. Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.
1. The first duty of love — is to listen.
2. We cannot love unless we have accepted forgiveness, and the deeper our experience of forgiveness is, the greater is our love.
Edward Bulwer – Lytton
1. If you wish to be loved, show more of your faults than your virtues.
O. A. Battista
1. The greatest weakness of most humans is their hesitancy to tell others how much they love them while they’re still alive.
1. Sex alleviates tension. Love causes it.
1. The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can never end.
2. We are all born for love… it is the principle existence and it’s only end.
1. I am certainly not an authority on love because there are no authorities on love, just those who’ve had luck with it and those who haven’t.
1. I never saw so sweet a face. As that I stood before. My heart has left it dwelling place … and can return no more.
1. When you’re comfortable with someone you love, the silence is the best.
1. When you like someone, you like them in spite of their faults. When you love someone, you love them with their faults.
1. Love rarely overtakes; it mostly comes to meet us.
1. To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
1. Love isn’t blind; it just only sees what matters.
1. Love is like quicksilver in the hand. Leave the fingers open and it stays. Clutch it, and it darts away.
1. If we discovered that we only had five minutes left to say all that we wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people calling other people to stammer that they loved them.
1. Love is something you can’t describe like the look of a rose, the smell of the rain, or the feeling of forever.
2. Love is when you look into someone’s eyes, and see everything you need.
1. Love is not needing a snooze button on your alarm clock because when it goes off the first time in the morning the thoughts of your loved one make it impossible to fall back asleep.
1. The best things in life can never be kept; they must be given away. A Smile, a Kiss, and Love.
1. Our true identity is to love without fear and insecurity. Our higher potential finds us when we set our course in that direction. The power of love and compassion transforms insecurity.
1. It’s strange that words are so inadequate. Yet, like the asthmatic struggling for breath, so the lover must struggle for words.
1. In order to create there must be a dynamic force, and what force is more potent than love?
1. Love is a sign from the heavens that you are here for a reason.
1. The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.
Mohandas K. Gandhi
1. Love never claims it ever gives.
Alfred Lord Tennyson
1. If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.
1. A simple I love you means more than money
1. Love is like a friendship caught on fire: In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love become as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.
1. If I know what love is, it is because of you.
2. At the first kiss I felt something melt inside me that hurt in an exquisite way. All my longings, all my dreams and sweet anguish, all the secrets that slept deep within me came awake, everything was transformed and enchanted, and everything made sense.
Honore de Balzac
1. True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart.
1. Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.
1. For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it. For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
Josiah G. Holland
1. The most precious possession that ever comes to a man in this world is a woman’s heart.
Lope de Vega
1. Harmony is pure love, for love is a concerto.
1. Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice. Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart.
1. The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain signing to it…you and you alone make me feel that I am alive…Other men, it is said, have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough.
1. In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.
1. See there’s this place in me where your fingerprints still rest, your kisses still linger, and your whispers softly echo. It’s the place where a part of you will forever be a part of me.
1. Two souls with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one.
1. I love you, not only for what you are, But for what I am when I am with you.
1. To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
William M. Thackeray
1. To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose, the next best.
1. The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.
1. Fear and love can never be experienced at the same time. It is always our choice as to which of these emotions we want.
1. I only want to love once, but I want to love everybody for the rest of my life.
Barbara de Angelis
1. If you aren’t good at loving yourself, you will have a difficult time loving anyone, since you’ll resent the time and energy you give another person that you aren’t even giving to yourself.
2. You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back.
3. Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference.
1. If you have love in your life, it can make up for a great many things that are missing. If you don’t have love in your life, no matter what else there is, it’s not enough.
1. If you wish the world to become loving and compassionate, become loving and compassionate yourself.
1. Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.
1. Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get–only with what you are expecting to give–which is everything.
1. The one thing we can never get enough of is love. And the one thing we never give enough is love.
1. You have to sow before you can reap. You have to give before you can get.
1. The greatest possession we have costs nothing, it’s known as love.
1. You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have really lived are the moments when you have done things in a spirit of love.
1. Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.
1. Real love is feeling like being a part of that persons life almost isn’t enough. It’s more like a feeling that you would live in the same skin with them if you could and share every thought, heart beat, and emotion as one.
1. Love is when you look into someone’s eyes and see their heart.
1. A Friends Love says: If you ever need anything, I’ll be there. True Love says: You’ll never need anything; I’ll be there.
1. Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your heart or burn down your house, you can never tell.
1. Treasure the love you receive above all. It will survive long after your gold and good health has vanished.
1. The Eskimos have 52 words for snow because it is so special to them; there ought to be as many for love!
1. As you continue to send out love, the energy returns to you in a regenerating spiral… As love accumulates, it keeps your system in balance and harmony. Love is the tool, and more love is the end product.
Francois de La Rochefoucauld
1. There is no disguise which can hide love for long where it exists, or simulate it where it does not.
2. We forgive to the extent that we love.
3. Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and blows up the bonfire.
1. A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.
1. When it’s cold and dark at night, and we’re alone together, I long to take you in my arms, and cuddle you forever.
Angel of Mine, a song by Monica
1. I look at you looking at me, Now I know why the best things are free, How you’ve changed my world You’ll never know, I’m different now, You’ve helped me grow.
Henry Louis Mencken
1. A man loses his sense of direction after four drinks; a woman loses hers after four kisses.
2. To be in love is merely to be in a state of perpetual anesthesia: To mistake an ordinary young man for a Greek god or an ordinary young woman for a goddess.
3. Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
4. Love is the delusion that one man or woman differs from another.
Dr. Karl Menninger
1. Love cures people – both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.
1. Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.
1. Love is a thing, well, it’s kind of like quicksand: The more you are in it, the deeper you sink. And when it hits you, you’ve just got to fall.
1. Love is the expansion of two natures in such fashion that each include the other, each is enriched by the other.
1. I have learned not to worry about love; But to honor its coming with all my heart.
Michelle St. Amand
1. Love is not a matter of counting the years…But making the years count.
1. The best feelings are those that have no words to describe them.
1. Let the world stop turning, let the sun stop burning, let them tell me loves not worth going through. If it all falls apart, I will know deep in my heart, the only dream that mattered had come true …In this life I was loved by you.
Robin St. John
1. What the heart gives away is never gone …It is kept in the hearts of others.
1. Love, you know, seeks to make happy rather than to be happy.
Salmon P. Chase
1. How wrong it is for those who love, not to express their love.
1. The first great step is to like yourself enough to pick someone who likes you, too.
1. We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.
1. We can only learn to love by loving.
Jean Paul Richter
1. Never part without loving words to think of during your absence, it may be that you will not meet again in this life.
1. People need loving the most when they deserve it the least.
1. Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives.
Rainer Maria Rilke
1. This is the miracle that happens every time to those who really love; the more they give, the more they possess.
William R. Mattox, Jr.
1. True love isn’t so much a dreamy feeling that you have as it is an enduring commitment to give sacrificially–even, or perhaps especially, when you don’t feel like it.
1. There is only one situation I can think of in which men and women make an effort to read better than they usually do. It is when they are in love and reading a love letter.
1. The art of love … is largely the art of persistence.
1. The porcupine, which one must handle gloved, may be respected, but is never loved.
1. Many a man in love with a dimple makes a mistake of marrying the whole girl.
Moritz J. Saphir
1. Love makes of the wisest man a fool, and of the most foolish woman, a sage.
1. I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it.
1. Love is like PI – natural, irrational, and very important.
1. To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you’re wrong, admit it; whenever you’re right, shut up.
1. Never frown because you never know who might be falling in love with your smile.
1. There is nothing better for the spirit or the body than a love affair. It elevates the thoughts and flattens the stomachs.
1. Before marriage, a man will lie awake all night thinking about something you said; after marriage, he’ll fall asleep before you finish saying it.
Mary Roberts Rhinehart
1. Love is like the measles. The older you get it, the worse the attack.
1. Love, true love, is that which can give the most without asking or demanding anything in return.
1. You know you’ve found love when you look in their eyes and find yourself.
1. Love… What is love? Love is to love someone for who they are, who they were, and who they will be.
Harry Met Sally
1. When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
Robert G. Ingersoll
1. I would rather live and love where death is king than have eternal life where love is not.
1. Think lovingly, speak lovingly, act lovingly, and every need shall be supplied.
1. To be capable of steady friendship or lasting love, are the two greatest proofs, not only of goodness of heart, but of strength of mind.
1. Love is like a piece of art work, even the smallest bit can be so beautiful.
1. That is the best – to laugh with someone because you think the same things are funny.
George Jean Nathan
1. Love is an emotion experienced by the many and enjoyed by the few.
1. Friends will keep you sane, Love could fill your heart, a lover can warm your bed, but lonely is the soul without a mate.
1. Trouble is a part of your life, and if you don’t share it, you don’t give the person that loves you enough chance to love you enough.
City of Angels
1. I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it.
1. Love is a game that two can play and both can win.
1. Deep down, we remain human, very human and have all the desires to love and be loved by one person.
1. What greater thing is there for two human souls that to feel that they are joined… to strengthen each other… to be at one with each other in silent unspeakable memories.
1. Love is missing someone whenever you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close in heart.
1. When you make a sacrifice in marriage, you’re sacrificing not to each other but to unity in a relationship.
1. There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart.
Leanna L. Bartram
1. True love is when your heart and your minds are saying the same thing.
1. Truly loving another means letting go of all expectations. It means full acceptance, even celebration of another’s personhood.
1. Let those love now who never loved before; Let those who always loved, now love the more.
1. When you can see your unborn children in her arms, you know you really love a woman.
1. Love is indescribable and unconditional. I could tell you a thousand things that it is not, but not one that it is.
Edgar Watson Howe
1. A woman might as well propose: her husband will claim she did.
1. I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times, in life after life, in age after age forever.
2. The greatest distance in this World is not that between living and death, it is when I am just before you, and you don’t know that I Love You.
1. We had a lot in common. I loved him and he loved him.
1. Love isn’t a decision. It’s a feeling. If we could decide who we loved, it would be much simpler, but much less magical.
1. To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart, And to sing it to them when they have forgotten.
1. I am two fools, I know, for loving, and for saying so.
1. Love is not something you feel. It’s something you do.
1. There is always something left to love. And if you haven’t learned that, you ain’t learned nothing.
1. If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.
1. We must love one another or die.
Calvin and Hobbes
1. I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.
1. One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.
1. The moment we choose to love, we begin to move against domination, against oppression. The moment we choose to love, we begin to move toward freedom, to act in ways that liberate ourselves and others.
William Arthur Ward
1. Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.
1. In love lies the seed of our growth. The more we love, the closer we are to the spiritual experience.
2. When we love, it is not necessary to understand what is happening outside, because everything happens inside us instead.
3. When you love, things make even more sense.
Viktor E. Frankl
1. The salvation of man is through love and in love.
1. Trip over love, you can get up. Fall in love and you fall forever!
1. Terrible, it was terrible. Even today and it’s been several months now you just bring it up and I tear up a little bit, terribly. You know when you’re that close that long and got along as well as we did, we seldom had any serious arguments. We might have — might discuss which movie we wanted to see and what play we wanted to go to, where we ought to go for a vacation but that usually didn’t last very long because we were much of the same mind all the time. (Larry King interviewing Walter Cronkite)
2. I think somebody ought to do a survey as to how many great, important men have quit to spend time with their families who spent any more time with their family. Probably less.
1. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love.
2. And all people live, Not by reason of any care they have for themselves, But by the love for them that is in other people.
3. If so many men, so many minds, certainly so many hearts, so many kinds of love.
4. Love is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love. Everything is united by it alone. Love is God, and to die means that I, a particle of love, shall return to the general and eternal source.
5. It is not beauty that endears, it’s love that makes us see beauty.
6. When you love someone, you love the person as they are, and not as you’d like them to be.
7. He had heard that women often love plain ordinary men, but he did not believe it, because he judged by himself and he could only love beautiful mysterious exceptional women.
8. Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.
9. To get rid of an enemy one must love him.
10. You can love a person dear to you with a human love, but an enemy can only be loved with divine love.
11. What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.
Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach
1. We don’t believe in rheumatism and true love until after the first attack.
1. Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss and ends with a tear.
2. The secret of love is seeking variety in your life together, and never letting routine chords dull the melody of your romance.
3. What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things.
4. Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, its what you are expected to give — which is everything.
5. If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you’ve made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand.
6. Love is like playing the piano. First you must learn to play by the rules, and then you must forget the rules and play from your heart.
7. You don’t marry someone you can live with – you marry the person whom you cannot live without.
8. It’s so funny how we set qualifications for the right person to love, while at the back of our minds we know that the person we truly love will always be an exception.
9. You will know when you really love someone when you want him to be happy even if his or her happiness means you are not a part of it.
10. Every step I took since the moment I could walk was a step towards finding you.
11. Love? It’s kind of complicated, but I’ll tell you this… the second you’re willing to make yourself miserable to make someone else happy, that’s love right there.
12. The most eloquent silence; that of two mouths meeting in a kiss.
13. The rule of unconditional love; it is in the giving that you make the other person realize.
14. Lucky is the man who is the first love of a woman, but luckier is the woman who is the last love of a man.
15. There would come a time when we have to stop loving someone not because that person started hating us but because we found out that they’d be happier if we let them go.
16. The spaces between our fingers were created so that another person’s fingers could fill them in.
17. It doesn’t take a reason to love someone, but it does to like someone. You don’t love someone because you want to; you love someone because you are destined too. It’s because you fall in Love with them, that you then try to find a reason, but you always come up with the answer, No reason!
18. There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart … pursue those.
19. If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred plus one day, so I never leave you alone.
20. Wind is to fire like distance is to love; it extinguishes the small and enflames the great.
21. If there is only one gift which I can give you, it will be the gift to see how others see you and you will know how special you are to them.
I hope you enjoyed this huge collection of Famous Love Quotes and Sayings. Do you have any Famous Love Quotes that I left out of this list? Please leave it in the comment section of this post.
Thanks a million 🙂