Here are 101 beautiful quotes and sayings handpicked from our extensive collection. This list has been updated for 2018. We’re constantly updating this list – so feel free to email us some of your beautiful quotes. Cheers!
101 Beautiful Life Quotes and Sayings
1. The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude. – Dennis S. Brown
2. You may not end up where you thought you’d be, but you always end up where you’re meant to be.” – Unknown
3. Nothing really ever happens like you imagine it will. – John Green
4. There are two kinds of suffering. There is the suffering you run away from, which follows you everywhere. And there is the suffering you face directly, and so become free. – Ajahn Chah
5. The source of love is deep in us and we can help others realize a lot of happiness. One word, one action, one thought can reduce another person’s suffering and bring that person joy. – Thich Nhat Hanh
6. Use everything as an opportunity to understand, grow, and expand. – Unknown
7. I love those who yearn for the impossible. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
8. Some of the best lessons are learned from past mistakes. The error of the past is the wisdom of the future. – Dale Turner
9. You cannot escape your own attitudes, for they will form the nature of what you see. Quite literally you see what you want to see; and you see your own thoughts and emotional attitudes materialized in physical form. If changes are to occur, they must be mental and psychic changes. This will be reflected in your environment. Negative, distrustful, fearful, or degrading attitudes towards anyone work against the self. True self-knowledge is indispensable for health or vitality. The recognition of truth about the self simply means that you must first discover what you think about yourself, subconsciously. If it is good, build upon it. If it is poor one, recognize it only as the opinion you have held of yourself and NOT as an absolute state. – Seth
10. Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep, really to sleep. Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.” – Ernest Hemingway
11. Happiness is a conscious choice, not an automatic response. – Mildred Barthel
12. Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are. – Malcom Forbes
13. Time doesn’t heal you when you’re not ready to move on. – Unknown
14. The best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other. – Dalai Lama
15. Why waste your time getting hurt over and over by the same person when there’s someone else out there better who’s waiting to make you smile.
16. The only difference between a dream that came true and one that didn’t, is a person who wouldn’t give up and one who did. – Susan Gale
17. Taking the first step to love someone requires courage. The feeling that you are loved by someone gives you confidence and strength. – Mark Amend
18. The hardest prison to escape is in your mind. – Unknown
19. Sometimes pain becomes such a huge part of your life that you always expect it to be there, because you can’t remember a time in your life that it wasn’t. Then one day you feel something else. Something that feels wrong only because it is so unfamiliar, and in that moment you realize that you’re happy. – Unknown
20. Sometimes I come across a tree which seems like Buddha or Jesus: loving, compassionate, still, unambitious, enlightened, in eternal meditation, giving pleasure to a pilgrim, shade to a cow, berries to a bird, beauty to its surroundings, health to its neighbors, branches for the fire, leaves for the soil, asking nothing in return, in total harmony with the wind and the rain. How much can I learn from a tree? The tree is my church, the tree is my temple, the tree is my mantra, the tree is my poem and my prayer. – Satish Kumar
21. Life is taking you somewhere, listen to the messages, they will repeat until you follow their call. – Leon Brown
22. You will understand why when you look back, the answers are rarely given in the middle of the lesson. – Leon Brown
23. One of the things she had learned early in her life was that if you discovered something that made you tighten inside, you had better try to learn more about it. If you simply ignored the feeling, you would never know what might happen, and in many ways that was worse than finding out that you were wrong in the first place. Because if you were wrong, you could go forward in your life without ever looking back over your shoulder and wondering what might have been. – Nicholas Sparks
24. “So often we try to make other people feel better by minimizing their pain, by telling them that it will get better (which it will) or that there are worse things in the world (which there are). But that’s not what I actually needed. What I actually needed was for someone to tell me that it hurt because it mattered. I have found this very useful to think about over the years, and I find that it is a lot easier and more bearable to be sad when you aren’t constantly berating yourself for being sad. – John Green
25. Don’t get bitter, just get BETTER. – Unknown
26. Because when the world quiets to the sound of your own breathing, we all want the same things: comfort, love, and a peaceful heart. – Mitch Albom
27. Picture yourself when you were five. In fact, dig out a photo of little you at that time and tape it to your mirror. How would you treat her, love her, feed her? How would you nurture her if you were the mother of little you? I bet you would protect her fiercely while giving her space to spread her itty-bitty wings. She’d get naps, healthy food, imagination time, and adventures into the wild. If playground bullies hurt her feelings, you’d hug her tears away and give her perspective. When tantrums or meltdowns turned her into a poltergeist, you’d demand a loving time-out in the naughty chair. From this day forward I want you to extend that same compassion to your adult self. – Kris Carr
28. You just do it. You force yourself to get up. You force yourself to put one foot before the other, and God damn it, you refuse to let it get to you. You fight. You cry. You curse. Then you go about the business of living. That’s how I’ve done it. There’s no other way. – Elizabeth Taylor
29. I don’t regret the things I’ve done. I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance. – Unknown
30. Travel is little beds and cramped bathrooms. It’s old television sets and slow Internet connections. Travel is extraordinary conversations with ordinary people. It’s waiters, gas station attendants, and housekeepers becoming the most interesting people in the world. It’s churches that are compelling enough to enter. It’s McDonald’s being a luxury. It’s the realization that you may have been born in the wrong country. Travel is a smile that leads to a conversation in broken English. It’s the epiphany that pretty girls smile the same way all over the world. Travel is tipping 10% and being embraced for it. Travel is the same white T-shirt again tomorrow. Travel is accented sex after good wine and too many unfiltered cigarettes. Travel is flowing in the back of a bus with giggly strangers. It’s a street full of bearded backpackers looking down at maps. Travel is wishing for one more bite of whatever that just was. It’s the rediscovery of walking somewhere. It’s sharing a bottle of liquor on an overnight train with a new friend. Travel is “Maybe I don’t have to do it that way when I get back home. – Nick Miller, Isn’t It Pretty To Think So?
31. One solid thing I can say is that fear is not necessarily a bad thing. It’s something that, as you get older, you can get a bit more comfortable with. Fear is a very motivating thing in life. You should not be crippled by it — use it instead. – Unknown
32. Life is a one way street no matter how many detours you take, none of them lead back. So enjoy life’s every moment, as none of them will happen the same way again.
33. I began to draw an invisible boundary between myself and other people. No matter who I was dealing with. I maintained a set distance, carefully monitoring the person’s attitude so that they wouldn’t get any closer. I didn’t easily swallow what other people told me. My only passions were books and music. – Haruki Murakami
34. I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape—the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn’t show. – Andrew Wyeth
35. No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day and be thankful for life. Someone somewhere else is fighting to survive.
36. We often just accept the things that we like, and complain a lot about the things that we don’t like. But if we could, like, intensely dwell on the really great things in life the way we intensely dwell on the negative things in life; I think that would be fantastic. – Hank Green
37. Yet you still value the things you’ve lost the most. Because the things you’ve lost are still perfect in your head. They never rusted. They never broke. They are made of the memories you once had, which only grow rosier and brighter, day by day. They are made of the dreams of how wonderful things could have been and must never suffer the indignity of actually still existing. Of being real. Of having flaws. Of breaking and deteriorating. Only the things you no longer have will always be perfect. – I Wrote This For You: The Efficiency and Perfection of the Lost
38. Put the past behind you, the present moment is all that matters, in the life of those who want to be happy. – Leon Brown
39. It is never too late or too soon. It is when it is supposed to be. – Mitch Albom
40. God gave you a heart to love with, not to hate with, God gave you the ability to create Heaven on earth, not Hell. – Leon Brown
41. Always FORGIVE people and move on, even if they never ask for your forgiveness. Don’t do it for them – do it for YOURSELF. – Unknown
42. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own. – Paulo Coelho
43. I think the reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except yourself. – Rita Mae Brown
44. Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place. – Kurt Vonnegut
45. You never know what’s around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain. – Tom Hiddleston
46. It’s time for you to realize that there won’t always be someone there to hold your hand. Sometimes we have to grasp onto life and hope that our best is good enough and fight our own battles. People call it life, I call it growing up.
47. This is one more piece of advice I have for you: don’t get impatient. Even if things are so tangled up you can’t do anything, don’t get desperate or blow a fuse and start yanking on one particular thread before it’s ready to come undone. You have to figure it’s going to be a long process and that you’ll work on things slowly, one at a time.
48. That’s the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too. – Khaled Hosseini
49. What consumes your mind, controls your life.
50. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it. – Elizabeth Gilbert
51. No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm together.
52. Surround yourself with good people. They make it easier to keep your head up even when you’re going through bad times. – Thema Davis
53.When you really respect yourself you’ll stop dating people who clearly have no respect for you. – Thema Davis
54. Tonight go to sleep as though your whole past has been dropped. Die to the past. And in the morning wake up as a new man in a new morning. Don’t let the same one who went to bed get up. Let him go to sleep for good. Let the one who is ever-new and ever-fresh awake instead. – Osho
55. Stop expecting others to act first, be the one who makes a positive change. – Leon Brown
56. It’s the time to make choices you can be proud of. It’s the time to be the best version of yourself and in the process, somewhere along the way hopefully you attract the best version someone else has to offer. The more you challenge yourself, the higher your expectations become for your life and the people you want to have in it. – Erin Foster
57. You must find your passion in life to truly live to your potential. – Unknown
58. Do not sit solemnly before a belief and say ‘Aha, this is my great belief, and it blocks my view!’ But, as a child, kick it aside and make a new one. The ideas are your blocks. You can use them, therefore, playfully, to build with, or if you will forgive me for using a pun, you can use them as objects that block your view. And children deal quite joyfully with blocks. And if they erect structures that do not please them, then without an instant remorse, they knock them aside, and make anew one. So if you have a pretty structure, save it. But if you have one that displeases you, then knock it aside. The playground is yours. It is a war-ground if you make it into one. It is a playground of creativity and joy if you realize that it is. But the new design, with the new blocks, are quite there, and quite available. And if you were playful enough about it, you would be quite aware, and there is no need to wait for new beliefs-unless you BELIEVE you must wait for new beliefs. And there is no struggle, unless you BELIEVE that you must struggle. And it is not hard unless you BELIEVE that it must be difficult. – Seth
59. The best opportunities won’t sit around and wait for you. Be ready for them or they’ll move on without you.
60. Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people. – Carl Jung
62. When the eye finds nothing to see, that no-thingness is perceived as space. When the ear finds nothing to hear, that no-thingness is perceived as stillness. When the senses, which are designed to perceive form, meet an absence of form, the formless consciousness that lies behind perception and makes all perception, all experience, possible, is no longer obscured by form. When you contemplate the unfathomable depth of space or listen to the silence in the early hours just before sunrise, something within you resonates with it as if in recognition. You then sense the vast depth of space as your own depth, and you know that precious stillness that has no form to be more deeply who you are than any of the things that make up the content of your life. – Eckhart Tolle
63. The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. No, the true measure of a man is this: how quickly can he respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give. – Philip K. Dick
64. If you throw away all thoughts of attainment, you will then come to see the real purpose of your quest. – Seung Sahn
65. The thing about life is that you must survive. Life is going to be difficult, and dreadful things will happen. What you do is move along, get on with it, and be tough. Not in the sense of being mean to others, but being tough with yourself and making a deadly effort not to be defeated. – Katharine Hepburn
66. Behind every person is a story, behind every story is a person. So think before you judge, because judging someone doesn’t label who they are, it labels who you are.
67. From good things, I learn to be a thankful person. From bad things, I learn to be a strong person.
68. Nobody really knows how much anyone else is hurting. We could be standing next to someone who is completely broken and we’d never know.
69. You may not be perfect, or even close to it, but I love you, and to me, you’re as perfect as you can be.
70. Sometimes the right path is not always the easiest. – Pocahontas
71. More often than not, running away from your problems just increases the distance between you and the solution.
72. So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning. – Morrie Schwartz
73. As time goes on, you’ll understand. What lasts, lasts; what doesn’t, doesn’t. Time solves most things. And what time can’t solve, you have to solve yourself. – Haruki Murakami
74. If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello. – Paulo Coelho
75. It’s much easier to not know things sometimes. Things change and friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody. I wanted to laugh. Or maybe get mad. Or maybe shrug at how strange everybody was, especially me. I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and than make the choice to share it with other people. You can’t just sit their and put everybody’s lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can’t. You have to do things. I’m going to do what I want to do. I’m going to be who I really am. And I’m going to figure out what that is. And we could all sit around and wonder and feel bad about each other and blame a lot of people for what they did or didn’t do or what they didn’t know. I don’t know. I guess there could always be someone to blame. It’s just different. Maybe it’s good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Because it’s okay to feel things. I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite. I feel infinite. – Stephen Chbosky
76. I feel like people get lost when they think of happiness as a destination. We’re always thinking that someday we’ll be happy. You know, we’ll get that car or that job or that person in our lives that fixes everything. But happiness is a mood and a condition, it’s not a destination. It’s like being tired or hungry; it’s not permanent, it comes and it goes, and that’s okay. And I feel like if people thought of it that way, they’d find happiness a lot more often.
77. You can’t recycle wasted time. – Unknown
78. There’s always a moment when you start to fall out of love, whether it’s with a person or an idea or a cause, even if it’s one you only narrate to yourself years after the event: a tiny thing, a wrong word, a false note, which means that things can never be quite the same again. – Douglas Adams
79. Cry as hard as you want to, but just make sure that when you’re finished, you never cry for the same reason again.
80. Sometimes removing some people out of your life makes room for better people. – Unknown
81. It’s the loneliest feeling in the world – to find yourself standing up when everyone else is sitting down. To have everybody look at you and say ‘what’s the matter with her?’ Walking down an empty street, listening to the sound of your own footsteps. Shutters closed, blinds drawn, doors locked against you, and you aren’t sure whether you’re walking toward something, or if you’re just walking away.
82. Whatever could have been or should have been, doesn’t matter. This moment is here and now for you to live.
83. You’re cheating yourself out of today. Today is calling to you, trying to get your attention, but you’re stuck on tomorrow, and today trickles away like water down a drain. You wake up the next morning and that today you wasted is gone forever. It’s now yesterday. Some of those moments may have had wonderful things in store for you, but now you’ll never know. – Jerry Spinelli
84. As I’ve grown up, I’ve learned several things. Life is full of disappointments and people you trusted will sooner or later let you down. I’ve learned that often those you love will love someone else and there’s only one way to fall – fast and hard. I’ve learned that out of thousands of smiles, it takes one to touch your heart. I’ve found that words can be deceiving but the truth always lies in a person’s eyes. I’ve learned that everything can change in the blink of an eye and tears often come without invitation. I’ve learned crying can make us stronger and there’s never too much love to go around. I’ve learned that prejudice helps no one and that weapons don’t hurt people, people hurt people.
85. Life is a one way street no matter how many detours you take, none of them lead back. So enjoy life’s every moment, as none of them will happen the same way again.
86. Everything is a gift. The degree to which we are awake to this truth is a measure of our gratefullness, and gratefullness is a measure of our aliveness. – David Steindl-Rast, Jesus and Lao Tzu: The Parallel Sayings
87. The quicker you are in attaching verbal or mental labels to things, people, or situations, the more shallow and lifeless your reality becomes, and the more deadened you become to reality. – Eckhart Tolle
88. The atoms that make up your body were once forged inside stars, and the causes of even the smallest event are virtually infinite and connected with the whole in incomprehensible ways. – Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth
89. Spirituality is recognizing and celebrating that we are all inextricably connected to each other by a power greater than all of us, and that our connection to that power and to one another is grounded in love and compassion. Practicing spirituality brings a sense of perspective, meaning, and purpose to our lives. – Brene Brown
90. The power is in you. The answer is in you. And you are the answer to all your searches: you are the goal. You are the answer. It’s never outside. – Eckhart Tolle
91. You do not simply fall into a depression. Your beliefs cause the depression. Face the depression. Follow the feelings through, but realize that they are feelings in the same way that you realize, hopefully, that beliefs are beliefs. There is a difference between, for example, the feeling, I am no good, I am unworthy, and the fact of being unworthy or no good. You may be the greatest success in the world as far as everyone else is concerned, and still feel that you are unworthy or no good. So, when you examine or let yourself feel your feelings, realize that they are feelings and not necessarily definitions of truth, and then they will move you beyond them. – Seth Audio Sessions
92. And do not compare yourselves with the idea of perfection! You are perfect as you are. You are happening! When you believe that you are unworthy, and when you interpret this particular belief, for example, to mean that you are fat, or that you are lonely, or that you are poor, you are following through with your beliefs perfectly! There is nothing inferior about such a reality that you have created! It is a beautiful example of your beliefs in action, in your terms! If you believe that you are inferior, Diana, and you find before you the result of your belief, then you have done an excellent job of projecting the belief outward! Pat yourself on the back! But if you do not like the results, then change your beliefs. There is nothing wrong with you. You did a good job of projecting your beliefs. There is nothing wrong with any of you, with your being, and with what you are. And do not ever let anyone tell you that there is! You are simply using your abilities and learning how to do it. And continue to learn. But there is nothing wrong with the self that is learning, and that is what I want you to know. There is nothing wrong with the selves that you are. Do not identify beliefs that you do not like with the self that you are. – Conversations with Seth, Vol 1, ch 5
93. Right now, there are people all over the world who are just like you. They’re either lonely or they’re missing somebody. They are in love with someone they probably shouldn’t be in love with. They have secrets you wouldn’t believe. They wish and they dream and they hope, and they look out the window whenever they’re in the car or on a bus or a train and they watch people on the streets and wonder what they’ve been through. They wonder if there are people out there like them. They’re like you, and you could tell them everything and they would understand. And right now, they’re sitting here reading these words, and I’m writing this for you so you don’t feel alone anymore.
94. There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life. – John Lennon
95. Courage has you say in a defiant spirit you can take everything from me, you could cut me deep, you could render me in shame but you will never ever stop me from loving those who mock me, from loving those that hate me, from loving those who don’t forgive me, from loving the cynics, from loving the darkness so much that I myself through my small acts of consistent unyielding love may bring on the light. – Cory Booker
96. Freedom comes from seeing ourselves as composed of worthiness that we can never be separate and apart from. It’s an impossibility. Hence, we need to change our conception and perception of worthiness itself. We need to view it as an integral part of our being and any belief otherwise is simply a result in a BELIEF in opposites.
97. Most people try to add years to their life, when the real trick is in adding MORE LIFE into every year. AGE doesn’t matter. What matters most is how you age, and how you SPEND the time in between.
98. You were born to make mistakes, not fake perfection.
99. But sometimes, we just have to be happy with what people can offer us. Even if it’s not what we want, at least it’s something. You know? – Sarah Dessen
100. At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you. – Elizabeth Gilbert
101. People are just as wonderful as sunsets if you let them be. When I look at a sunset, I don’t find myself saying, “Soften the orange a bit on the right hand corner.” I don’t try to control a sunset. I watch with awe as it unfolds. – Carl R. Rogers
Congratulations for making it to the end! If these beautiful life quotes have helped you in anyway, please take a second to share them on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Also, I’m always on the look out for new quotes: please share your favorite ones below. Thank you so much 🙂